When new projects are sent to Motionographer®, we ask ourselves the following questions:
- Is it innovative?
- Is it exceptionally well-crafted?
- Is it built on an interesting concept?
- Does it push technology to new limits?
- Does it create a lasting emotional impact?
- Does its production process merit attention for some reason?
- Has it been done before? If so, does it take the concept in a new direction or raise it to a new level of quality?
- Is the subject matter interesting?
- Is it historically valuable?
- Does it challenge existing ideas about the media for which it was created?
Obviously, no project will fit all those criteria. They are merely guidelines, questions we instinctively pose to ourselves. Sometimes we need to discuss a project internally before sharing it; other times we know immediately that a project deserves to be posted right away.
What about Quickies?
Quickies are short news items appearing in Motionographer’s sidebar. They are quick blasts of inspiration and news that don’t necessarily require full posting.
We usually post an item as a Quickie if we don’t have much else to say about it. Maybe it’s a short note about an upcoming event, or maybe it’s a new reel that speaks for itself. Or maybe it’s a project that’s quirky and a bit outside Motionographer’s normal voice.
However you define them, Quickies are not second-class posts; they’re just… quicker.